WiFi network audit
Undoubtedly, the audit of wireless networks is crucial to determine the correct network parameters. From diagnosing to detecting irregularities and selecting the optimal methods of correcting them. Network audits are primarily related to accurate and methodical measurements. To maintain the optimal operation of the network and to ensure the conditions for the effective functioning of the infrastructure. It is worth remembering that measurements and audits should be carried out regularly, especially when there are changes in the arrangement of racks in the storage area, etc.
What is the purpose of wifi audit
The purpose of the conducted wifi network audits is to examine the mutual interactions between devices that are part of the wireless network infrastructure in enterprises and neighboring organizations. Therefore, during the audit procedure, we assess the real security, efficiency and performance of the WLAN network.
The results of inspections and measurements provide in-depth and real information about the condition of the network. Therefore, a wireless network security audit allows you to verify the security status of your wireless network – both in terms of network vulnerability to third party activities and the performance of other 802.11 systems.
Wireless network security audit, conducted using the blackbox method – without knowing the device configuration. The test includes scanning the wireless network indicated by the customer.
Exemplary scope of the wifi network audit:
- Detection of wired networks (802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g/n/ac/ax) in several selected places.
- Specifying the security type of the detected networks (Open System, WEP, WPA, WPA2).
- In the case of detecting an Open class network – an attempt to connect to an access point.
- If a network with WEP security is detected – an attempt to break the encryption key and gain access to the network.
- If a network with WPA-PSK security is detected – an attempt to break the encryption key (method: brute force).
- Verification of the SSID announcement mode and SSID value.
- Attempt to detect the manufacturer of access points.
- Determination of the page authentication mechanisms used (based on the access data provided by the Customer).
- Checking the use of authentication mechanisms offered by the 802.1X standard.